Tuesday, February 14, 2012

will you be my sentimental valentine?



Happy Valentines Day from Healdsburg!  I hope everyone is feeling a little extra love today!

Valentines Day has been one of my favorite holidays since I was a child.  I loved the Valentines Day parties in elementary school, where we would all decorate little mailboxes, and then exchange valentines with the entire class.  There was something so exciting about picking out and addressing little valentines, and then so exciting to see which kinds you got from all of the other kids in the class.  Heart stickers, doilies, and all those cute little envelopes to open!

When I got home, I'd watch Valentines movies, my favorite being The Little Rascals. (see youtube clip below). 



I'd also read the Berenstein Bears Valentines Day Book, and marvel at the illustrations of snow for Valentines Day! In Washington State we never had snow on Valentines Day!  It wasn't until I turned 18 that I got to see snow on Valentines Day - something practically guaranteed to happen at Syracuse University! 

Of course in Healdsburg California, there is no snow on Valentines Day.  (It is sunny out today.) In preparation for Valentines Day this year,  I've been working on a Valentines Playlist of love songs from the 20s, 30s, and 40s, and a handful of songs after that.  Its got everything from Judy Garland and Shirley Temple, to Glenn Miller and Artie Shaw.  It's perfect for a romantic evening in, or if you and your Valentine are going out, it is fabulous getting ready music!  Please Enjoy my Sentimental Valentines Day Playlist!

On a somewhat more tangible note, I made everyone here in Healdsburg some Chocolate Speedy Oven Fudge from a tried and true recipe by Beverly Bernholtz that I found on allrecipes.com.  It is seriously so amazing and so delicious, and so easy! Its not too late to whip up a batch - or give it a try this weekend! 

I'm looking forward to going out to dinner with my Valentine tonight, but in the mean time I'll be listening to my Valentine's Playlist, and sneaking pieces of Chocolate Fudge here and there :)

Happy Valentines Day Everyone! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment