Friday, February 17, 2012

an adult friendly playlist for kids

In anticipation of the major babysitting weekend we've got ahead of us, I've created an adult friendly playlist for kids and babies.  I'm pretty excited about the results! 

After sifting through hundreds of terrible suggestions in a multitude of parenting forums, I decided to take things in to my own hands, and create my own.  I kept it lighthearted, modern, and catchy.  It's high on adult appeal, and I think the kids are gonna like it as well! As far as I'm aware, all songs are kid friendly enough. (disclaimer - I by no means sat down and analyzed every single lyric on this!) If you are particularly sensitive, you may want to skip the last track, "You and I" by Ingrid Michaelson.  There is talk of "spooning," (eating soup together!) as well as "doing what bunnies do"(hopping! obviously!).  You have been warned. Fair enough?

So without any further ado, here is my list of adult friendly music for kids! If you are on Spotify, you can use this link to pull the playlist up instantly. If not, I'm including my list below so you can see my suggestions.

Dog Days Are Over - Vitamin String Quartet
Mushaboom - Feist 
Campus - Vampire Weekend 
Be OK - Ingrid Michaelson
Far Away - Ingrid Michaelson
Swing - Zero 7
New Soul - Yael Naim 
You Are My Sunshine* - Sleep Good
The Wrote and the Writ - Johnny Flynn
Never Had Nobody Like You - M. Ward featuring Zoey Deschannel
Rave On - M. Ward featuring Zoey Deschannel
Wagon Wheel - Old Crow Medicine Show 
Home - Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros 
Sticky-Sweet - Erin McCarley 
The Way I Am - Ingrid Michaelson
Little Too Much - Natasha Beddingfield 
1234 - Feist (obviously!) 
Banana Pancakes - Jack Johnson 
You've Got The Love - Florence + The Machine 
If I Had Words - Sally Harmon (my favorite kid song) 
You've Got A Friend In Me - Randy Newman (I'm allowed 1 disney song, right?) 
Us - Regina Spektor 
Quelqu'un M'a Dit - Carla Bruni 
Little Monster Babies - Kimya Dawson
Sweet Darlin' - She & Him 
Dog Days Are Over - Florence + The Machine 
Cosmic Love - Florence + The Machine
Bird Song - Florence + The Machine 
Everyday People - Sly & The Family Stone 
I Do - Colbie Caillat 
Bottle It Up - Sara Bareilles 
Love Song - Sara Bareilles 
Sea of Love - Cat Power 
French Navy - Camera Obscura 
Animal - Miike Snow 
You and I - Ingrid Michaelson (see warning above - spooning alert!) 

That's my adult friendly kid playlist! What do you think? Parents - any other suggestions??

*I literally listened to hundreds of versions of "You Are My Sunshine"  trying to find the right one for this playlist. I'm not 100% satisfied with this selection, but it was the best recording I could find before Brandt threatened to kick me out :) I'm still searching...


No comments:

Post a Comment